Extraordinary Doesn’t Happen in the Ordinary: Get Out of Your Comfort Zone


How did I get here? I pondered in disbelief and gratitude as I gazed across the vast swath of the shimmering Mediterranean Sea. I was always taken aback by her sheer beauty, no matter how frequently I stared at her in appreciation. The undulating, velvety verdant green of the majestic mountains cascading down from the piercingly blue skies contrasted beautifully with the pristine, gorgeous turquoise water. Fortuitously, the sun was beginning its slow descent to complete the stunning scenery, casting an ethereal rose-hued golden light over the dreamy view I was enjoying while reflecting on my incredible good fortune. My seaview balcony afforded me a front-row seat for the evening’s events to unfold.

I closed my eyes to appreciate the symphony of contrasting sounds, magically blending in a paradoxically peaceful harmony: the buzzing motor scooters, the ubiquitous form of transportation here; the infectious laughter of children running around the piazza in a carefree, chaotic manner; the chatter of the diners excitedly recounting the day’s events; and the hauntingly beautiful chant indicating the last call to prayer of the day. This is Turkey to me; it’s a multi-sensory mosaic with countless sensory experiences vying for attention. No sense is left untouched by this enchanting, entrancing country. 


It had taken me many relationships, many heartaches, and many years of soul-searching to get “here”. Yet I had arrived, finally, blissfully, gratefully. I sigh in contentment and gratitude as I silently answer my tacit query as I reflect on my recent past.


It was Christmas Eve a few years prior. I had never felt more alone in my life, more unsure of myself, more uncertain as to how my future would unfold. Long story short, my husband of 10 years had abruptly and unilaterally told me he no longer wanted to be married after I had comprehensively supported him, his family, and his dreams for a decade, subjugating myself to his whims. I had left my career as a lawyer to support his career aspirations. Now I was without a home, unemployed, and bordered on slipping into an abyss of depression I feared I wouldn’t emerge from. 


I lay crumpled on the floor clutching my tiny Buddha statute, typically a source of comfort and inspiration, eventually crying myself to sleep like that. Miraculously, the next morning, I awoke refreshed with renewed vigor and faith in myself. My heart was compassing me to a faraway land and her beckoning was not to be denied. 


Despite my trepidations, I took a leap of faith to relocate to Turkey, a beautiful country I had briefly visited before. I would embrace my new status of “single” and pursue my passions and start a new career as an author. I had a one-way ticket and gave away almost all my worldly possessions before saying my goodbyes to my bewildered family and friends.


The embrace of Turkey’s hospitality and her endless exquisite natural beauty and charms quickly healed my heart, while authentically pursuing my passions simultaneously gave me a purpose while instilling peace in my restless soul. 


I was living the dream, not chasing an elusive one. They say you only live once, yet I had been letting life simply pass by me. I prefer to say, “You die only once.” You get the opportunity to live each day and I was embracing the magic of truly living every moment for the first time in my life. Fixation on collecting material possessions and saving money had given way to collecting memories and savoring moments. I had to “lose” everything by giving away my lifelong collection of possessions and leaving my marriage to realize I finally had everything that truly mattered.


By getting out of my comfort zone and embracing a new culture, a new career, and a new “singledom”, I found profound happiness. If we find pleasure in simple things and the beauty in everyday moments, we will always be immersed in happiness. Happiness is within us; it doesn’t come from a place, a person, or a status. I had to endure searing heartache to find the secret to my true happiness. My greatest loss had become my greatest treasure. By having faith in myself, I had been rewarded with countless blessings. 


Formerly, my job as a lawyer had been lucrative but unfulfilling. I’m now writing full-time, passionately spreading my message of holistic health, happiness, and harmony. Although the income has been nominal thus far, I’m now blessed with riches beyond my wildest dreams. I’m collecting experiences and memories instead of possessions; counting stars instead of money; socializing instead of “networking”; and focusing on “being” instead of “having”.


Most of my days are spent exercising, researching, writing, and going to the beach. I count my blessings to be the living embodiment of a Mediterranean lifestyle as I write about natural health. I’ve been experiencing a culture shock in the best way. Civility and conviviality define this hospitable culture that warmly embraces foreigners. The healing power of nature is at my doorstep. I’m enjoying the sensory delight and health benefits of the justly-renowned Mediterranean cuisine which represents the intersection of nutritious and delicious. The year-round enviable Mediterranean climate is one of the reasons Turkey had beckoned me. Most of the year, the temperate water invites swimming, the sea’s silky, mineral-rich waters feel like a warm embrace. 


As I walk back towards the town after an invigorating day of sun, sea, and fresh air, I’m rewarded with a postcard-perfect vista. The majestic, lush forest green hillside of the peninsula envelops  terraced white houses, dripping with vivid bursts of multicolored bougainvillea, as if in a warm, protective embrace. The idyllic village slopes down to the rainbow of turquoise variations seaside, the colors ranging in shades from the lightest teal to the deepest emerald green. The entire green/blue section of a Crayola crayon box gloriously comes to life. The several coastal walks are bordered by an endless array of colorful fruit trees, including silvery olives, ruby red pomegranates, sunburst lemons, and luscious fig trees. They contrast beautifully with the delicate white bloom of interspersed almond trees. The bountiful produce doubles as artwork and healthy sustenance. For the first time in my life, I truly stop to smell the fragrant roses fringing the coastal paths.


Having the courage to leave my home, my country, my marriage, and my career, blessed me with true happiness, healing, and peace. Everything was so foreign to me initially  - the culture, the language, the cuisine, the religion - yet I have never felt like I “belonged” anywhere more. I had been a lifelong people pleaser, ignoring myself. By following my passion and trading an unfulfilling life as a corporate lawyer for the life of a writer, I had authentically become the author of my own life with a deep, gratifying purpose. I had been anxious about “untethering” myself from everything familiar. By embracing my single status, I realized my “grounding”/my continuity was within me. It was extraordinarily liberating and empowering to have become my own hero. Home is where the heart is; I had found mine. 


Dreams do come true if you believe in yourself. Take the leap, extraordinary just might await…







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring the Timeless Beauty of Trevi, Umbria